Buda’s World Famous Chili
- 1 - 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1.5 Tbsp chili powder
- 1.2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cocoa (Dutch process if possible)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz) can kidney beans (rinsed and drained twice)
- Brown beef with onions, drain off excess fat.
- Empty tomatoes and juice into colander, reserving tomato juice. Smash tomatoes by hand and drop into large pot.
- Add reserved tomato juice, half a can of additional water, and remaining ingredients to the large pot.
- Simmer covered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Uncover and simmer to desired thickness. Stirring more frequently as chili thickens.