Spicy Bread and Butter Pickles #3
- 10 Cups of sliced cucumbers (i used about 8 cucumbers, but this will vary with type)
- 1 large sweet onion - diced or sliced, depending on if you like to eat the onions)
- 1/2 Cup pickling salt
- 3 Cups white vinegar
- 2 Cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp whole Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- An additional 2 - 3 tsp of red pepper flakes
- Pickle Crisp
After the soak in the brine, pour out liquid, rinse and drain cucumber onion mixture. Set aside.
In a large pot (i used an 8 Qt) pot combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, turmeric, and the teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Bring this to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved into the vinegar. Once this is mixed together, add cucumbers and onions. Simmer for ten minutes.
The pickles are now done. This recipe makes 5 pint jars that can be canned in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Any pickles that don't fit, I usually put in a Tupperware container in the fridge and eat.
- Great, a real crowd pleaser.
- I recommend you let them sit three days in the fridge or two weeks in the jars before consuming to maximize taste.