- 3-4 Pickling Cucumbers, sliced lengthwise and trimmed to be no taller than than jar openning (usually about 5 inches)
- Quarter of a large onion, cut into onion slivers
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 tsp salt
- 1/2 Cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 Cups water
- Clean and sterilize (you can use the dish washer for that) a quart sized, swing top jar. [You can also use a regular canning jar, but I like the swing top for this, as we aren't really canning this and I don't want to give the impression of shelf stable food.]
- Pack the cucumbers and onion slices into the jar. A tight pack will help keep the cucumbers from floating to the top. Add the minced garlic on top.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the water, vinegar and salt until salt is disolved and the liquid just comes to a simmer.
- Pour hot brine into jar, filling to the top as much as possible.
- Close jar, and seal. let this cool on the counter until room temperature and then move to the refridgerator.
- Enjoy pickles anytime from one week to four weeks.
This is the recipe I use now. You can alo add dill if you so chose, or use a flavored vinegar. I like it simple and straight forward. I've also added Koolaid to this later on, but that a different post.