Monday, November 11, 2019
Friday, May 24, 2019
Every society has an "untouchable" class, from the sewer cleaners of the East to the sin eaters of the West. The Assasins' Guild was no different.
For a people to advance, they need a means to remove that which is #vile.
A dirty job still needs workers.
Thursday, May 23, 2019
Wednesday, May 22, 2019
Saturday, April 13, 2019
The wife and I do a lot of meatless days during Lent. But there is only so much pizza, pancakes, and tuna fish sandwiches you can have. SO we started looking into making some high protein vegetarian soups and stews. After a few tweaks to some black bean soup recipes, this is our current go to. We do it in the Instant Pot, which makes it fast enough she can turn on the pressure when I leave work and we're eating by the time I get home.
- 2 Tbsp canola (or another vegetable) oil
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 1 large carrot - diced
- 1 bell pepper - diced
- 2 stalks celery - diced
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 5 cloves of garlic - minced
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp oregano
- 1tsp kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- juice from one lemon
- 4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you prefer)
- 2.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup Goyo Mojo Criollo*
- Set Instant Pot to saute. Add oil, onion, carrot, pepper, and celery and saute until onions turn clear.
- Add remaining ingredients and lock lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 1 hour
- Let natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then you may rapidly release pressure.
- Scoop out half of the beans and set aside.
- Take a stick blender and process remaining soup in the pot until smooth. Return saved beans to pot and stir in.
- Serve and enjoy
* - This isn't required but I found it added a lot of good flavors. If you don't have on hand, you can replace with water.
Wednesday, April 10, 2019
- 1.25-pound ground chicken or turkey
- 15 oz canned white beans (navy beans generally but anything on hand), drained and rinsed
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce (I like 1/2 cup, but if you have non-spicy guests go lower)
- 1 package ranch dressing mix
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz cream cheese
- Blue cheese crumbles optional
- Brown ground poultry until fully cooked in Instant Pot on Saute setting
- Add remaining ingredients except for blue cheese. Leave the cream cheese in a block on top, it will get stirred in later.
- Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes
- Natural release pressure and stir well to combine cream cheese
- Served with a sprinkling of blue cheese on top
Sunday, February 3, 2019
At the end of Joe vs the Volcano, Joe (played by Tom Hanks) strums this fun and simple song on the ukulele. I've read They wanted something Mr. Hanks could easily play on his own, and given it only two chords I'd say they nailed it. I've seen this written out in a few different keys, but this is the version I play because it's a) easy and b) I think what they played in the movie.
Saturday, February 2, 2019
Here's a healthy, no cooking, super delicious salad that works as a dip or eaten directly with fork or spoon. We make it for big parties as it travels well and works best if made ahead of time. Generally, we serve with scooping tortilla chips.
- 1x 15oz can black-eyed peas (drained)
- 1x 11oz can of corn (drained)
- 2x avocados (diced)
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 2/3 cup red onion (diced)
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Combine all ingredients and mix.
- Let sit several hours before serving with chips. 24 hrs is even better
Wednesday, January 30, 2019
Here's one of my favorite videos she made:
I made a quick music sheet based on this tutorial so it was easier to follow along and then go practice on my own.
Monday, January 28, 2019
I liked the idea, but once I got my Instant Pot, I no longer really needed to prep as much ahead. You can make this is an hour and a half so I can start it when I get home or even on weekends after we clean up from lunch. Here's my adjusted version.
Cuban Pulled Pork
- 2 lb Pork Tenderloin
- 1/2 Large Sweet Onion - Diced
- 3 tsp garlic - minced
- Juice from 1 lime
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- Combine all ingredients in Instant Pot.
- Cook at high pressure for 60 minutes
- Natural pressure release for 10 minutes. Then shred pork and stir back into juices.
Monday, January 21, 2019
Download the PDF here.
Thursday, January 17, 2019
As with all things free, you shouldn't expect the support of paid services. Since the Opera VPN services are available to many people, it may be a choke point. On top of that, your cell phone will need to handle encryption duties it doesn't normally handle. Here's the difference on my (admittedly underpowered) Nexus 5x.